Monday, August 30, 2010

The New West Texas

On my way to Lubbock this weekend, I was impressed with the contrast between the old West Texas scenery and the addition of the new wind power plants.

This is the Sweetwater Wind Farm. It has 585 turbines.
The largest is near Roscoe (close to Abilene) and has 781. There are over 2,000 total in West Texas.

Texas farmers may lease their land to developers for a rental or a percentage of the revenue. The turbines do not impact their traditional farming and grazing practices. They get around $3,000 - $5,000 per year per turbine.

My husband's addiction for old house photos is contagious.
The cotton is beautiful this year!
OK, I stole this one from facebook. It is from nearby Coleman, Texas. I'm not sure I would have made it to Lubbock if I had seen this!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Chris told me that a lot of those windmills are on property owned by one family. Imagine how much they make a year.